Tuesday 29 July 2014

PLASTIC DAY, THE

BandTHE PLASTIC DAY
GenresPunk / Rock / Grunge / Garage Rock / Indie Rock / Emo / Noise
Related artistsN/A.
CountrySeoul, SOUTH KOREA
Years Active2007-2010
Song: "Sweet Girl"
Album: "30 Seconds Between the Dreamer and the Realist"
Year: 2009
Label(s): Cub/Music
This post's artist is from the June 2014 Mix. This is track #9.
You can download the July Mix#7 right here or get the new August Mix#8 here.
For fans ofThese Arms Are Snakes, The Mars Volta, Poledo, Apollo 18Nirvana(The) International Noise Conspiracy and acidic indie rock.

While I was in South Korea from 2008 until 2011 I was blessed seeing 2 bands that helped make my stay over there a little more bearable. As I stated in my Apollo 18 review/interview, I really really dislike (and that's putting it nicely) most Korean mainstream music, especially Kpop which is cancerous to their society (in my opinion). It was at a THE PLASTIC DAY show where I first was lulled into any kind of scene that I could relate to. The band recorded an album in 2009 which I was lucky enough to attend the cd release party for and I picked up a copy that I still hold on to and played awkward, angular, throaty and acidic indie/garage rock. Some of the tracks almost touch the 10-minute mark and the band has a pension for instrumental improv-sounding sections within those songs.

This is by no means stellar, but being isolated from aggressive rock music while in Korea led me to attach myself almost immediately to anything that was mildly decent. THE PLASTIC DAY is much more than mildly decent, but I'm not expecting readers of this blog to shit themselves over it. That being said, this is still a really decent rock record from a country that doesn't really produce many good rock records. Some notes on the songs:
*"Sweet Girl" mix These Arms Are Snakes with garage-rock and is one of the best songs on here
*"Storm" is a driving and fluid rock number
*"Sunshine Kiss" could be labeled as a sassy/sexy punk rock song along the lines of (The) International Noise Conspiracy
*"It's a Government Land" is 10 minutes of pure THE PLASTIC DAY doing what they do with additional string instrumentation...but it does kinda drag
*"Cut Off" has a serious grunge vibe going on and reminds me of Poledo and Nirvana
*"30 Sec" is probably my favourite cut which lives up to its title, as it's only 39 seconds long, and sounds much bouncier and mathier than the other songs
*"I Miss Me Myself" is a great song that sounds very little like anything else on the record and has a really catchy-yet-downtrodden chorus that has me humming along every time

Eh that's enough for now. The 10 tracks are all pretty sweet but none blow me out of the water. Check out the videos below and download the mp3 of their record should the embeds entice you enough.

________________________________________

DISCOGRAPHY

2009 - 30 Seconds Between the Dreamer and the Realist cdLP (buy on Itunes here)

________________________________________

(2009) THE PLASTIC DAY - "30 Sec" (from '30 Seconds Between the Dreamer and the Realist')

(2009) THE PLASTIC DAY - "Sweet Girl" (from '30 Seconds Between the Dreamer and the Realist')

(2009) THE PLASTIC DAY - "I Miss Me Myself" (from '30 Seconds Between the Dreamer and the Realist')

________________________________________

THE PLASTIC DAY additional links

________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment