Sunday 29 September 2013

HEDBERG, MITCH

This post's artist is from the August 2013 Mix. This is track #12.
You can download the August 2013 Mix right here.

BandMITCH HEDBERG
GenresComedy / Stoner
Related artistsN/A.
Country: St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Years Active: 1989-2005
Track: "Long Hair Associations"
Album: unknown
Year: 2003
For fans of: Hannibal Burress, Lewis Black, Stephen Wright, George Carlin and Richard Pryor.

I fucking hate arrows man...Imagine being killed by a bow and arrow. That would suck if an arrow killed you. They would never solve the crime. "Look at that dead guy. Let's go that way."
-Mitch

It makes sense for me to talk about MITCH HEDBERG for my first comedy post because it was none other than this long haired, awkward, bumbling genius that made me focus on searching out new comedians.

George Carlin and other comedians dissect the English language, but no one came close to picking apart the sheer absurdity of it all like MITCH HEDBERG. He was also made obvious observations as Jerry Seinfeld used to do, but then took that information and made it absolutely ridiculous. Here are but a snippet from the highlight reel that was MITCH HEDBERG:

"My belt holds up my pants, but my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck's really going on down there? Who is the real hero?"

"I got an oscillating fan in my house. It goes back and forth. It looks like the fan is saying no. So I like to ask it questions that a fan would say no to. "Do you keep my hair in place?" "Do you keep my documents in order?" "Do you have 3 settings? Liar! My fan fucking lied to me. Now I will pull the pin up. Now you ain't sayin' shit."

"We ordered a lot of chicken fingers, man. It was about 10 chicken hands. I want a chicken thumb. They must be accumulating. No one ever orders them."

"They say Flintstones vitamins are chewable. All vitamins are chewable - they just taste shitty."

"I play guitar. I taught myself how to play guitar but it was a bad decision because I did not know how to play it. So I was a shitty teacher. I would never have went to me."

MITCH HEDBERG was not the kind of comedian to track 10-minute long jokes. His jokes consisted of an array of one-liners and personal musings that rarely exceeded the minute-mark.

He died in 2005 of a cocaine and heroin overdose - 4 days before I was supposed to see him. Double goddamn.

Some classics that I adore are: "Koalas", "Belt", "Long Hair Associations", "Three Easy Payments", "The Dufrenes", "Arrows", "Sesame Seeds", "Sandwiches", and "Headless Horsemen", among countless others. Buy all of his stuff. Pure genius. The video below is decent, but get the dvd and the recorded albums.

________________________________________________________________________

DISCOGRAPHY

1999 - Strategic Grill Locations cdLP

2003 - Mitch All Together cdLP/dvd

2008 - Do You Believe In Gosh? cdLP

________________________________________________________________________

(I dunno) MITCH HEDBERG - "Full live set"
 
________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment