Saturday 18 May 2013

May 17th - LAURA STEVENSON and the hell yes we cans play beautiful music

WELCOME TO (((((OPEN mind SATURATED brain)))))'s seventeenth official post! The MP3 mix for May is linked from May 1st's post.

This post's artist is from the April 2013 Mix, this is track #12:

LAURA STEVENSON, you are amazing.

A general preference that I have noticed as I've lived my life - I'm not generally interested in female singers. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are girls, female voices just sound(ed) generic to me, I guess. Regardless, in recent years I've either changed my tune or I'm discovering female singers that finally hit that elusive chord that was lacking in the music that I heard in the past.

She has this voice that really lulls you in, like Joanna Newsom but much thicker and heavier, almost like a blanket. Her songs usually build from very simple and soft foundations, and eventually they reach a crescendo that has her voice wailing and spiraling amidst some catchy and/or epic instrumentals - depending on the song.

They (LAURA STEVENSON and The Cans) recently released their new album, 'Wheel' which I'm still trying to grasp. It seems to be a very strong and consistent album, but with the exception of Telluride, I don't hear any knee-weakening tracks like the last 2 albums. The songs themselves are much more mature and don't cling to a defined and rigid structure, but instead each song holds its own weight while adding to the interwoven fabric of the album. Gimme another week.

_________________________________________________________________________

2008 - A Record 12"EP

2009 - Holy Ghost 7"

2010 - Split 7" w/Bomb the Music Industry

2011 - Sit Resist cd/12"LP

2013 - Wheel cd/12"LP

2013 - Runner 7" single
 _________________________________________________________________________

LAURA STEVENSON - Barnacles (official live video of Laura playing solo in front of a dinosaur - if you are attracted to women, this entire thing is quite stirring) I freaking LOVE this woman.

LAURA STEVENSON & The Cans - Master of Art (official video link to youtube)

LAURA STEVENSON & The Cans - Beets Untitled (link to audio on youtube)

Listen to 2013's 'Wheel' in its entirety HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment