Sunday 12 May 2013

May 12th - TWO GALLANTS and one confused blogger

WELCOME TO (((((OPEN mind SATURATED brain)))))'s eleventh official post! The MP3 mix for May is linked from May 1st's post.
_________________________________________________________________________

 This post's artist is from the April 2013 Mix, this is track #16:

I don't like country. I don't like folk. But I like TWO GALLANTS. "2 wrongs make a right, Lisa."

What does this duo sound like? Well, as implied by my previous statements, it's county-tinged folk music that sounds a hell of a lot like Bob Dylan, vocally and at times lyrically.

After a few years of hermitting (yeah, I made that a verb), they re-emerged last year with an extremely explosive album that leans much more towards rock than their earlier releases.

I've had a rough day, and to be honest - I put this band on the mix because they're the only band in this genre that doesn't make me cringe. Perhaps I'm trying to be more eclectic than I really am. This stuff is good, but it's not awesome. If you like country or folk music in any way, give this a listen for sure. Otherwise, I have idea what reaction you may have to this.
_________________________________________________________________________

These guys have a pretty extensive discography, but I will only list what I have:

2007 - The Scenery of Farewell cd/EP (meh...)

2007 - Two Gallants cd/LP (a couple of decent tracks, specifically 'The Hand that Held Me Down' and 'Despite What You've Been Told')

2012 - The Bloom and Blight (probably the best overall album, but it has nothing on the 2 songs mentioned on the previous effort)
_________________________________________________________________________

TWO GALLANTS - My Love Won't Wait (official video link to youtube)

TWO GALLANTS - Despite What You've Been Told (audio link to youtube)

No comments:

Post a Comment