Thursday 2 May 2013

May 2nd - BIRTHDAY BOYZ make every day my birthday, boyeeeez!

WELCOME TO (((((OPEN mind SATURATED brain)))))'s second official post! The MP3 mix for May is linked from yesterday's post.

FROM THE April 2013 Mix, this is track #4:

I have yet to meet a person in my life who has answered 'yes' to the question, "Have you heard of BIRTHDAY BOYZ?" Hopefully after people check this blog out - I will no longer have this problem. It's pretty upsetting. Genuinely goddamn upsetting. For any Proper SCREAMO lover, these guys nail it to a fucking T. Seriously, get on this already! These guys pumped out only 4 songs over 2 releases; the song 'Basketball' on their 2004 split with The Fiction (members of Saetia) and their 3 final recordings on their limited 12" entitled 'The Bro Cycle" from 2005. (interesting note, this was recorded by Kurt Ballou of Converge fame)

If you like mathy/noodly screamo with two vocalists (think Caitlyn Bailey, early The Fall of Troy and early Desiderata with a lot of Blood Brothers-esque back and forth screaming) coupled with lyrics about how awesome Michael Jordan is, then you will love Birthday Boyz. Take a listen to the linked MP3 below for the song 'Basketball' - which has some of the most ridiculous lyrics of all time. Allow me to indulge you:

"Look out Michael, Michael Jordan.
Who makes the play that wins the game? Michael Jordan!
Ball: through the hoop.
Player: Make the play.
What? Basketball!
MJ, LJ, JC and we. Birthday Boyz!
In our lives there came to be a man above all others and his name was Michael Jordan.
Michael Jordan."

That's just fucking awesome.

Now, it's beef time. The recording quality, especially that of the vocals, sucks ass on the Bro Cycle. One of the things I dug most about 'Basketball' was all the crazy timing with the vocals. These are mixed very low on their final release, so I actually inquired about it. I was told that the band wasn't very big on vocals, especially considering the lyrical material (or lack thereof), and therefore they wanted the instruments to be at the forefront of the recording. I'll accept it but I don't have to agree with it.

Lastly, I have included a live video I stumbled across on Youtube of them playing an unreleased song that's pretty sick. Check out the video link under the song link.




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment