Friday 3 May 2013

May 3rd - MODERN RIFLES should have been huge

WELCOME TO (((((OPEN mind SATURATED brain)))))'s third official post! The MP3 mix for May is linked from May 1st's post.

FROM THE April 2013 Mix, this is track #14:

To this day, I still have no idea how I got the MODERN RIFLES cd. I was in South Korea teaching for a year, and when I got home - 'I Was Young, It Was Dark' was waiting for me. I popped it in and realized in due time that this is one of the greatest punk rock/indie albums of the 2000s.

The album itself sounds like a mix of Nada Surf, Waxwing and some later-era Thrice, with dabbles in punk scattered throughout. This unappreciated masterpiece has stood the test of time for me. If you can find a copy - pick this up.

There really isn't too much else to say. Check out the song linked below, which has a nice build from the verses to a ridiculous chorus that is crunchy and extremely catchy, without being cheesy or sounding forced. The song on the April OMSB mp3 Mix is longer, more drawn-out and epic - so I'm sure anyone who has listened to that mix was wondering who track 15 was. Modern goddamn Rifles. Why did you leave us so early?

MODERN RIFLES - Say A Prayer to St. Happenin' (audio link to youtube page)

No comments:

Post a Comment